Sep 21, 2012
According to the excellent Fall Movie Preview in Entertainment Weekly (8/17-8/24/12), it's once again a great year for making movies out of books. It's arguably better to read the book first, so click on the title links to request the books from our catalog. Don't agree? Like seeing the movie better? Comment below and tell us why!
- Twilight: Breaking Dawn, Part Two - You may have heard about this--based on a vampire series by Stephenie Meyer? Anything?
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Based on the young adult novel by Stephen Chbosky and starring Emma Watson (not as the wallflower).
- Argo - Directed by and starring Ben Affleck as Antonio Mendez, who is also just releasing the book Argo: How the CIA and Hollywood Pulled Off the Most Audacious Rescue in History.
- Cloud Atlas - Based on the book by David Mitchell and directed by the Wachowski sibling (The Matrix). Starring Tom Hanks with very odd facial hair.
- Alex Cross - Adapted from Cross by James Patterson, the character of Alex Cross (formerly played by Morgan Freeman) is now played by Tyler Perry.
- Wuthering Heights - Yes, again. Based on the novel by Emily Bronte and directed by Andrea Arnold (Fish Tank).
- Atlas Shrugged Part 2 - by Ayn Rand. There was a Part 1? Apparently so.
- Life of Pi - Based on the seemingly unfilmable novel by Yann Martel. Getting heaps and heaps of good buzz.
- Anna Karenina - Based on the Leo Tolstoy novel and starring Keira Knightley.
- Les Miserables - Originally based on the Victor Hugo novel, this is the first screen adaptation of the hit stage musical. Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe--they sing!
- The Hobbit - Part one of three planned films adapted from the J.R.R. Tolkien's novel (and all surrounding material, plus maybe a little more).
- Jack Reacher - Based on Lee Child's One Shot, and starring Tom Cruise as Child's 6'5" manly hero of the title's name.
- On the Road - Based on Jack Kerouac's novel and starring Kristen Stewart, among many others.